Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Scaring Away The Legends of Comedy in Three Easy Clicks... or "icks"

"When you take away the alcohol from an alcoholic you still have the 'ic'". Or "I gave up alcohol but the 'ism' is with me forever". These are two of the many catch phrases I have heard when I talk to people in recovery. They both apply to me because I still carry around a boatload of 'ic' and my 'isms' might just kill me! At the very least they still cause pain and discomfort to my loved ones, friends and myself.

In my blog I have shared some of the pain of addiction and the joy of recovery. I try to end each entry with a message of hope or a nugget of wisdom for the reader to chew on while waiting for my next post. I started writing this babble to reach out and inspire others, but in reality maybe it is to help cleanse ME! One of my favorite phrases is that recovering from alcoholism is no alcohol but I'm Still Me.

The "I'm Still Me" will be with me forever. I tell people that the only person you are guaranteed to wake up with every morning is you! If I get right with me, and God I will be able to get right with those I have walked over along the way. If I have created the impression that after you stop using everything is grand, I have done you a horrible disservice.

When you put down the "candy" that has been your crutch for years you are left naked and shivering in a world you spent so much time trying to avoid. The feelings and emotions you tried so hard to run from are bigger and bolder than ever. You no longer have the shelter and escape from your feelings or that instant ability to check out of yourself. Everything is real! The first few months after I stopped drinking were pure hell for me, my wife, my kids and everyone around me.

I understand all too well that addiction is a selfish disease. It is not the selfish we know as not sharing our cookies and crayons. It is an obsession with oneself. These selfish characteristics often contradict each other. I know I could be labeled as having a big ego. I use that mask so the outside world doesn't see just how little I think of myself.

When I get scared I get angry. When my kids were younger I was angry a lot. They saw anger, not my desire to protect and keep them from harm. When they did something that could cause them harm or injury to others I got scared inside. On the outside I was angry. I never could understand why the world did not judge me by my intentions. My intentions were usually pretty decent but my actions usually weren't pretty. As a kid, that's difficult to wrap the melon around.

Another one of my personality problems is my all-or-nothing mentality. I am either balls to the wall in a project or relationship or I'm disengaged and idle. There is no middle ground. If I can't do it perfect I would rather not try at all. My fear of failure or even success has kept me from taking a chance on so many things the universe has opened up to me. My ability to float in a sink or swim society is just not there.

Since I returned to comedy and acting in October I have switched into the balls to the wall gear. I have done more comedy gigs in the last 2 months than I did in the last two years. I have worked on 2 TV series and 2 movies. I started this blog and I'm still looking for a full time job. My drive to catch up for all the days I missed in la-la land has set me into hyper drive!

When I began to start writing my comedy again I became friends with some legendary comedians and touring comics through social networking and Facebook. My first friend hook-up was Tom Dreesen. Dreesen is a pioneer of comedy going back to his work with Tim Reid. He opened for Sinatra for years and still tours regularly doing comedy and motivational speaking. His frequent appearances on Letterman are hilarious and priceless. The second was David Brenner, a true original, author, talk show host and "Tonight Show" appearance record holder. Billy Connolly defriended me after request number one.

As soon as these two gracious, comic gurus responded to my messages my addictive personality hit them like a frontal assault. "Can you critique my jokes?" "Can you review my videos?" "Can you help me find an agent?" "Can you send me a signed photo?" "Can you give me a quote?" With each response I demanded more from them. I was relentless in trying to suck their comic knowledge from them like a vulture sucking marrow from a roadside kill. First they were accommodating, then distant and then gone.

I was so wrapped up in my drive for success and hunger for insights that I lost focus of them and their lives. These guys do more gigs and charity work in a month than most of us do in a lifetime! I expected them to drop everything and entertain my never ending requests. My "isms" were exposed like an open wound oozing with selfishness! My career! My needs, my, my, my!

The more sober I get the more alcoholic I see that I am. I just don't drink. I'm getting better but am still sick with self. I had something good but like addiction me, me, me and more, more, more became more important than the other people in my orbit.

Last night I bought autographed pictures of the two icons on EBay just like any fan would. They gave me alot but it was never enough! I got rid of the alcohol but I still have to work on my "ic".

3 comments:

  1. Tommy. I haven't gotten distant from you just busy with "me". You're on the right path on your comedy pursuits and as every comedian in the world can tell you it's full of ups and downs with acceptance and rejection. We'll always get rejected on our journey, we just get rejected on a higher level as we move up the acceptance ladder. When the acceptance comes we know in our hearts we worked hard for it and so therefore we deserve it. When the rejection comes we don't bury our fears in chemicals so that we can ease the pain for a moment and drown out the reality of the rejection . We accept it with a sober mind and then go about the business of making people laugh by writing material about the rejection. Carl Reiner once said to me "You want to make them laugh Tommy, show them your pain, they love to hear about your pain" . He was right. By you laughing at it they feel safe to laugh at it as well. Lastly you don't have to be an alcoholic to be in the "Me Me Me" zone.(Although it helps). If you sold Life Insurance or Pepsi Cola chances are you would be talking about those things to people you meet and thinking about them when you're alone because that's the product you're trying to sell to make a living and fulfill your life's ambitions. Our act is our Pepsi Cola and we're trying to sell it across the land 7 days a week. As you become more successful and the rent is paid and the bills are caught up, you then start spending more time with family, friends, charities etc but in the early days the painful truth is yes, it's a selfish journey. Well intended but selfish because it is about "YOU" and your hopes and dreams. The joy of joys is that we comedians have such a great opportunity to give back once we "arrive". I congratulate you on your insight of who you are and how you got there and what you're going to do about it. You're on the road to recovery in mores ways than one.My request to you would be to not be so hard on yourself. You're a good guy and deserving of all the great things coming to you and if you don't hear from me right away it's because I'm probably busy with "Me". Onward and Upward.. Tom Dreesen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mr. Dreesen. I'll have 5 more messages in your inbox within the hour. I know I will see you somewhere along the road. I know because I'm not gonna stop until I get there. You are the best and I paid 25 bucks for your autograph. I hope you get a cut! LOL God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Tom Dreesen - you are one class act!

    ReplyDelete