Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Me a Cop? "The Chicago Code" Basic Police Code Course with John Folino, Jr.

I hope you guys caught last night's episode "Cabrini Green" on "The Chicago Code".  I was in the FOX episode 3 times. I am truly grateful to be a part of such a quality show that focuses on the real life portrayal of the life of a Chicago police officer. Detective John Folino, Jr. is the "go to guy" and technical advisor who works with show creator and writer Shawn Ryan. He makes the show authentic and insists on "respect for the uniform." He also embraces the importance of the brotherhood that is represented in the show. Sunday, I was lucky enough to take a basic police code course for the program with John, Henry Rush, a Veteran of the force, and a handful of "Chicago Code" actors.

It was surreal for me as I drove to the course which is taught in Elmwood Park, Illinois. In my years of active alcoholism and addiction, Elmwood Park was close to where I spent my year plus days of homelessness and total despair. Stone Park was my turf for 2 years as I struggled to find sobriety. When I say home, I was homeless living in my car, occasionally staying at one of the many transient motels along Route 45/Lagrange Road. As I drove by some of those old haunts, bars and liquor stores, I couldn't help but remember the pain I endured as an addict 14 years earlier. At that time, Lagrange Road in Stone Park was a playground for drunks, dealers, thugs and Vice. I blended in perfectly with the scenery, stumbling to my hotel, living my life in a loop of addiction, fear, pain and isolation.

As a person who made it to the other side of addiction and alcoholism, I couldn't help but thinking every day really is a gift. I knew then that each day that I hopped on the merry-go-round of hell that had become my life, might be my last. Folino pointed out to us that every day an officer leaves for work he realizes it may be his last. As I flashed forward to my participation in the class I was reminded that I am one of the lucky ones and sobriety is truly amazing. I was actually driving toward the police and was looking forward to spending my day with them. In those dark years, I did everything I could to avoid them. It would be more likely for me to dine with Elvis than to spend an afternoon with a guy and a badge.

The course is designed for extras and actors to learn some basic police vocabulary, weapon handling, cuffing and protocol. The goal of the course is to teach "respect for the uniform and the people who risk their lives to protect us daily." One of the interesting things John hit on was the city of Chicago flag and its meaning. The 2 blue bars represent the Northside and Southside. The four red stars represent the Great fire of 1871, the 1893 Columbian Exposition, Fort Dearborn (commerce), and the Century of Progress World Exposition. Thank John and Henry for that info when you win your next game of trivial pursuit.


       (Truly honored. Me and Det. John Folino, Jr., Technical Advisor "The Chicago Code.")

The thing that struck me the most about John was his passion and dedication to his profession and his insistence to keeping consistent, professional respect for wearing the uniform for the city of Chicago. As a full-time member of the force and his work on "The Chicago Code", Folino still makes time to teach actors how to "portray" an officer on his time off. John also works with families of fallen officers who gave their lives to serve and protect US! From the way a hat is properly worn, to the proper presentation of the uniform, no detail is too small for John to overlook.

Most "cop" shows pay little attention to protocol and the respect that should be given to the position of honor as an officer. We spent most of our day discussing that. We learned proper weapon handling, cuffing, searches and professionalism. John Folino and Henry Rush are two guys who represent the city, the department and "The Chicago Code" the way it should be, with integrity and honor. I look forward to future courses Mr. Folino rolls out for the cast of the show.

By participating in the show it opens up more opportunities for me in season two. You guys keep watching because the show only gets hotter from here. People have said I could be related to Jason Clarke's character Jarek. I hope casting thinks the same way. I will still pursue my dream of landing a speaking role on the show. That would be amazing. If not, I know that if I am cast as an officer or detective, I will treat the uniform and position with the greatest respect.

It's been 14 years since my addiction put me on the other side of the badge. Sobriety and recovery are a gift that I don't take lightly. Stressing the importance of how members of the Chicago Police Department are brothers and family, working with each other to make our world safer, reminds me of recovery itself. You can't do it on your own. That's the fact! You can start your life over any day you choose to when you are "sick and tired of being sick and tired." I am living proof of that. A few short years ago when I was lost in addiction and booze you could never get me to believe I would be taking a police training course and on a hit TV show. The fact that I have, is testimony that in sobriety anything is possible.

When your house is on fire and you see a huge red firetruck racing to save your home, there's relief. Your first thought is of thanks that your home may be saved. In most cases when folks like you and me see a police car with flashing lights we think, "Oh no, what did I do?" Both professions are there to make our lives better and our communities safer. I understand that now and will never look at a police officer the same way again. Thanks John, Henry and Darlene! Keep watching!

1 comment:

  1. Tommy,
    Truly impressive what obstacles you have overcome and still maintain such a positive attitude. It was a pleasure having you in class and your participation assisted in making this class a success! Best of luck and keep the faith!
    Sincerely,
    John Folino

    ReplyDelete