Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Prayer for Dummies!

Praying for Dummies! Start with Hello!

I would like to welcome China and Turkey to my blog family. Keep the faith. It's been a few days since my last blog. Obviously my daughter has been the center of my attention, as it should be. I am scheduled to do comedy at a great venue in the city tonight and I'm not feeling very funny. I still haven't found full time employment and my acting career is pretty much on hold.

The title of the blog is a play on all those "Dummies" books they sell. It is not intended to hurt anyone. I won't say that I am a prayer expert but I have a lot of experience. In a Facebook statement I said that "BELIEF is knowing that there's someone to catch you when you fall. FAITH is knowing the guy who catches you." I believe in prayer. My friend Maria says she has 82 people or groups praying for my daughter. There is strength in numbers.

I believe that God made us all different because he wanted different relationships with each of us. I also believe that set rituals and prayers are a great start but a simple "Hello" or "Help" is a sufficient introduction to a direct connection to the almighty. He doesn't make prayer rules or require that we spin 3 times and click our heels together to get His attention. I pray often and when I am getting into a funk, I know I need to pray more. So here it goes:

Hello, Father Almighty. Thanks for another day of life and sobriety. Thank you for all the blessings you have bestowed upon me and my family. I am really grateful. Thanks for being with me right now when I am feeling so alone. Thank you for sending your son to die so that I may live. Please continue to look after Sunny, Squeaky, my family and the kids. Please bless those I remember in my heart and the ones I forget. Thank you for the gifts you have given me. Help guide me into using them the way you see fit. Help me to be a better person today. Allow me to be a messenger of your love. I know I'll snap out of this. I feel good knowing you're there. As I make mistakes and sin, forgive me and help me to grow. Please let me add something positive to your world today. May thy will be done. With your strength I know anything is possible. In your name I will always pray...amen

1 comment:

  1. I really like this, Tom...Our Father just wants to hear from us often...not just when things are bad (the way earthly children tend to do) but when things are good and we feel joyful. You're on my "pray for others" list.

    ReplyDelete