Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 30, 2011

We're Adopting a Baby!

This chapter will not hit much on my addiction but it does reinforce my recovery. This is the story of our 4 adopted children and what they went through before they got to us. Squeaky and I have no biological children together, so the four I talk about here are "our" children. One has passed on, and three remain.

Moving clockwise from the top is our first baby, Fabian, a black lab. He was adopted at 6 months and is now almost 12. He was a stray. Cooter, the yellow lab, was an adoption from my in-laws, and we gratefully took over her care after they decided she was too much for them. She is almost 12. Gracie, or as I call her, Lyndsay Lohan, is the newest addition to the family and is 3. Her story is below.

Ruby, our black pug, was adopted by us in 2005. She was 4 when we got her. She was from a suburban puppy mill where she was locked in a cage for 23 hours a day. She was let out 1 hour a day to breed, eat and go to the bathroom. When we got her my wife said she couldn't tell her front from her back. I thought she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. She passed away 7-27-10. We were lucky enough to have her for 5 years. She passed at 9. The strain of multiple births took its' toll on her. She was my best friend ever and her ashes sit with her dog collar a few feet from where I write this.

Gracie is our newest addition She is a Pekingese/Shiatsu and was adopted 5/10. She  was found in an abandoned home. She was discovered during a "well being check" of the cute suburban house that doubled as a puppy mill. After delivering her valuable puppies, the owners sewed her up roughly and left her to die.



I have often called our home "the island of misfit toys." It is a reference to the "special" toys left unwanted in the Rudolph claymation classic film that I saw over and over as a boy. We take these animals in because they have been neglected, forgotten, abused or a burden for the owner. Being a little off myself, I felt closer to these misfits.

Because I felt as though I was a misfit, I feel for them. My dream is to own a sanctuary somewhere out west with lots of land where all the animals I can handle can live their lives out in peace and love on my ranch. It will, in fact, be called "The Island of Misfit Toys Ranch." This will happen. These are not ramblings and mushy dreams. I have a great passion for these unwanted companions.

Next time you drive through the suburbs take a look at all the signs for designer dogs. There's pocket Yorkies and Frenchies, Pekapoos and ding dong dingers. The signs fill the streets of our tiny neighborhood. They easily equal the number of garage sale signs that are staked out in yards left and right. These designer dogs bring big money to the inexperienced breeder. Do you really think that all those breeders are certified and associated with a veterinarian? Is their dedication for the well being of the animals or how much money they can make?

Common sense will answer the question for you. I am not trying to create guilt if you have gotten your pet from a reputable breeder but I am referring to the online "Do-It-Yourself, Breeding For Dummies" type. In all honesty, I bought a pure bred Poodle puppy from one of these neatly disguised puppy factories and had to give her up to a no-kill shelter. She had some mental defects that made it impossible for us to keep her. A seller tries to move product. A reputable breeder would have seen that the pup was not well and taken proper actions in the interest of the animal, not the profits.

Before you run out and buy from these people check your local shelters first. Fabian is a loyal obedient Lab we got from the Downers Grove Humane Society. Ruby came directly from a puppy factory where she shot out litter after litter of Puggles. Gracie's story broke our heart and we got her from PAWS in Tinley Park. Buying a dog or cat is not like picking a shirt out of a window at a local boutique.

If there is a specific type of dog you are looking for, from Pugs to Yorkies, there are foster groups who take in specific breeds, and adopt them out properly. Remember, these animals are going to sleep next to you and your children. Go online and check it out. You can google these fostering groups and you will be be amazed at the amount of information and resources you find. It may take a little extra time, but you are doing yourself and the animal a favor by going this route.

Before you run to "Dogs-R-Us" check out your local shelter and humane society. These animals are usually house broken and well trained. They are just hungry for love. There are also a variety of special needs animals and older animals that require special people to take them home. To those of you who do, thank you for doing a good thing.

I love animals, except bats, and their love for us is unconditional. You can scold them in the morning for chewing up the newspaper and they have forgotten it by the time you return home from work. Try yelling at the wife, and see if she is wiggling her tail when you get home that evening. Take some time in getting your pet, like buying a house or car. There are a lot of sad stories like the one's I have told about Ruby and Grace. Some of the stories are much worse. Ruby and Grace's story has a happy ending for both them and us. Take some time and think about it when you are looking for your next family companion.

1 comment:

  1. Jack, my not-so-evil Chihuaha/Manchester terrier is a pound puppy..(*sigh)He has quite a few issues, being who he is..but has come a long way. He's a symbol for me...but not your problem..he loves and is loved...and could outjump any of your dogs..and a few more. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete