Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Enlisted Protect YOUR FREEDOM! Say THANKS!




My Dad and I had a lot in common. We both shared a passion for the Bears, America and Ireland. We both wore our Irish-American Pride on our shirt sleeves. Making other people laugh made us laugh. I can't count how many Bear games we endured in the 70's, and cheered through, in the 80's and 90's. Lastly, we both served in the United States Armed Forces. My Dad was an Army Sergeant, I spent a short stint in the U.S Naval Reserve between the ages of 40 and 41 during the current conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan.

There were also some stark contrasts. My Pop liked the Cubs. I love the Sox. He was a staunch Republican. I am a little more moderate. I guess you could call me a late blooming hippie with centrist views. He was pro-military period! I saw things from a different perspective. I see now that sometimes conflict is unavoidable.

My Dad loved his days in the service. He did most of his tour in Georgia, and was a radio instructor. He was a model soldier in uniform, He believed in the brotherhood, in and out of it. In a twist of irony his best friend from kindergarten ended up transferring to his base. That's my Uncle Bob. They were so close I was born on the same day as his daughter Kim. Now that's friends!

After the service they remained tight buddies, and Bears season ticket holders, until my pop passed on. Uncle Bob, and I took some of his ashes to the Seattle game in 2010, two months after he went up to hang with Halas and Sweetness. He is a part of every game from the North End Zone. Pulling that off is a story for another day. He would have been proud of my stealth mission.

He is interred at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery. Some of them were held back for me to take to Ireland's Ring of Kerry. If you ever wonder about the sacrifices that our men and women in uniform give for this country it's worth the trip. Visit ALNC in Elwood, Illinois or Arlington National Cemetery, in Arlington, Virginia. I have had the honor of visiting both. When I was 12 I saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Even as a kid it left me awe struck. The sea of white headstones, perfectly sized and in exact formation will drive my point to the center of your soul. It is awe inspiring. The silence is deafening. The sacrifice displayed is humbling.

My stint in the Navy was short. I served out of Glenview. I was in for just over a year. I wanted to serve. My body couldn't handle it. My desire to serve my country was stronger than the demands serving it put on my body. I am grateful for that time. I was honorably discharged shortly there after. My Dad and I weren't even speaking during the time I served. My booze and addiction issues had driven him away. My self-destruction pushed him away. He couldn't bear to see me crash and burn any longer.

I don't care if you are pro-military or pro-peace. No soldier wants to go to war. I believe war should be fought only as a last resort. It should be fought for protecting our country, and the oppressed. It should not be fought for resources or economic gain. In WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam thousands of jobs were created with American sweat and pride. Now our country is in the worst shape it's been in since the depression and we don't create jobs HERE?!  It's been over 10 years! Where's Rosey the Riveter?  MADE IN THE USA has been traded for Made in China, or some third world nation. I will never understand that. Feed your family...then feed the world.

Every time I see a person in uniform I take the time to thank them for their service to our Country, AMERICA! I don't care if you are the most ardent anti-war protester on the planet. They fight for your right to speak out. They protect your FREEDOM! Take the time to say thanks for doing, WHAT YOU COULDN'T EVEN DREAM OF!

My Pop would have fought for this country at age 80, in his pajamas. I feel the same way. Thank you to the men and women who proudly serve in the ARMY, NAVY, AIR FORCE, MARINES, U.S. COAST GUARD, and all the RESERVE UNITS. You guys miss time with your families, while I enjoy mine. You eat in tents, while I wonder where I should eat. You die...to protect...Me. Thank you is a gross understatement for the gratitude I have for what you do. You are AMERICAN MADE! On Memorial Day when you're cooking hot dog,s and sucking back suds, take time to give thanks for those who make those good times possible. If a vet needs a hand...give him two. If you are anti-war, thank the man for giving you the right to speak out about hating it....
GOD BLESS YOU ALL! I miss ya Pop....

NOTE TO THE GOVERNMENT: The men and women who protect and serve the greatest nation in the world NEED to be taken care of when they return!  PERIOD! I see too many KIDS with addiction and PTSD issues in recovery. I see yet others wandering the streets in oblivion. Open up the coffers and pay them back for what they gave DEARLY and FREELY to protect us!
They paid their dues...Pay them back with your interest....






No comments:

Post a Comment