Total Pageviews

Friday, April 20, 2012

Adapt! You Son of a So-n-So!

I hate Change, unless it's change I like. That kind of change is usually when things are going my way. It is when the universe falls into line with my grandiose plans. Natural selection dictates that only the strong survive. Adapt or be extinguished. I have made so many changes in the last few years in recovery that I see a different me when I look in the mirror. The fact that I can look in the mirror and be comfortable with the guy looking back at me is a miracle in itself.

I am grateful to GOD for giving me the chance to rebuild my family and start a new career in acting. As for my comedy career I'm at a crossroad. I haven't lost the passion. I still can write some decent material. I hold my own when I'm on stage. David Brenner told me in effect, "if you don't get butterflies before you hit the stage, get out of the business. Your passion is gone!" I do get a little nervous, or more accurately an adrenalin rush, when the emcee is giving me my intro and I hit the stair up on stage. After I have snapped out my first joke I go into the zone.

Chicago is a great comedy town. There are at least 6 major clubs in the city and plenty in the suburbs. I have played all over the city except the east side. I'll have to wait until they have a water taxi and floating club for that. On all seven days of the week you can find an open mic to try out some new stuff or catch the buzz!

When I was "out there" I was completely comfortable spewing out ANY material that would get a laugh. My conscience was set to my standards and that was pretty much, "Tom say ANYTHING for a laugh!" The bluer the better. The nastier the better. Nothing was taboo.

Last night I performed at a club in the heart of Rush Street. For my readers outside the "Windy City," that's the Bourbon Street of Illinois. The crowd wasn't bad. It was a comedy contest with me and 4 other comics competing to move into the semi-finals. I did not make it. I don't feel bad about it. The winner was outstanding. He is a touring comic and left me in the dust.

As I watched my four friends perform I was struck by the fact that my material was rated PG 17 or under. My fellows were rated R to X. That's cool. I know that's what people want to hear when their out partying. I can say without hesitation Carlin, Pryor, Kinison and Williams are personal favorites. Bruce, Foxx, Pryor and Carlin were ground breaking. Carlin's stance on free speech took him all the way to the Supreme Court. I miss ya' George.

Out of all the comedians you see today in the main stream only a handful of them do sets that are suitable for any age audiences. Dreesen, Brenner, Lewis, Foxworthy and Dunham are masters. Last night I became convicted with the fact that following in those guys footsteps is what I am going to do. I love comics who can make me laugh without feeling embarrassed when my kids are with me. Comic note: I still enjoy blue humor. I just don't think it's for me.

As I took the stage last night the other guys had covered coke, sex, hookers and racism. I had prepared my all ages set. As I began the laughs were coming in smatterings. There was one here, a couple there and occasionally I knocked one out of the park. After I noticed I wasn't keeping the crowd rolling I slipped back into the blue. I started throwing out the raunchy stuff from the old days. I was willing to do anything for the laughs again. It worked. They laughed. I left the stage feeling awful!

I was shocked at how quickly I was able to toss out my convictions on doing a PG set, more specifically it made me feel bad about my performance. I was recording the set to send out to clubs and agents. When I went to check on the camera after my set I saw a black screen. The batteries had died. I was actually happy I didn't have to review it. I also felt like the big guy upstairs was reaffirming my decision. That is, from here out I am only doing decent humor. I have to feel good with what comes out of my mouth. The crowd will see my ease and hopefully enjoy the ride.

As I get ready to release Soul Parole, I hope to do some signings and corporate events. I want to weave my comedy and laughter into my otherwise troubling story. I am a story teller. My new choice of decency may limit my opportunities in the clubs. It may also open some new ones. If I end up doing only fundraisers or the Florida Condo circuit, I'm cool with that. I have to remain comfortable in my own skin. If I get too uncomfortable, bad things will quickly follow. That is my M.O.! David Brenner went on to say that, "doing what you want, in a place you like, that makes you feel good is the only definition of happiness I ever found valid."The racy hard core comics rule. My hat is off to you guys. I agree with David. Look out world Mr. Clean is coming out swinging.

No comments:

Post a Comment