Total Pageviews

Monday, October 31, 2011

Alcoholism is Like Flu ITs' Symptoms Spread to EVERYONE in ITs' Path....

There is nothing that frustrates me more than when a person fresh into recovery says that their drinking didn't hurt anyone and the bills were paid. They claim they were only hurting themselves. They share stories of escaping to the garage or den to drink alone. They state with pride that they never raised their voice or a hand to their loved ones or kids while drunk or high. They boast that they made it to ball games and recitals regularly. "To BE or Not to BE," IS the question in active addiction and recovery. Addictions' most powerful tool is denial.

The families of Alcoholics live in a secretive world. The kids grow up thinking it is somehow wrong but is normal to them. The non-using spouse takes on the role of caretaker for the user and sometimes the enabler. They are also the fixer to hide the messes from the kids and neighbors. They are usually a wreck most of the time. They are never at ease. The alcoholic is a ticking bomb when drinking. We sip and sip and the family waits for when we are going to go "BOOM!"

As a drunk I had anger issues. They did not become physical but the tongue is more cutting than the sword. This was not daily but frequent enough. I was also emotionally unavailable to my wife and kids when THEY needed me. My drinking came first PERIOD. There were times I tried to force my way into a DAD moment with the kids to show what a great guy I was. Those were my moments of need not theirs. They didn't reach out. I reached in.

I was also the great orator and lecturer when drunk, quite the philosopher king actually. At least that's the way my drunken mind perceived it. All drunks think they just brim with wisdom when filled with beer or grog and we must share it with the world. The pub wasn't invented for shelter. It was needed for the meeting of the minds! The drunk makes a point, is so impressed with himself he makes it again, then does so once more with a little more flavor just in case the CAPTIVE audience didn't catch the brilliance the first two times through.

WARNING! To the family or lay person DO NOT interrupt the drunk in his brilliant Hamlet like moments. Refer to "BOOM," statement above for further clarification.

The family MUST adapt to the drunk. They become actors, performers and schizophrenics as they try to please and appease the whims and fancy of the day. The more drunk the better and more precise the performance. It is a survival skill for each family member. It is also ways to try to steal glimpses of affection and good favor from the drunk and hopefully escape his wrath when he snaps. I have been on both sides of the scene as a drunk and growing up in a family with alcohol issues.

I also run into the loved ones of alcoholics who say "it's his problem. I'm fine." There's an Aerosmith song that has an acronym definition for F.I.N.E. that would fit well here. If you live with monkeys for 20 years you will begin to crave bananas and pick lice from your fellow monkeys' hair. That's the way it goes. As the sober and somewhat sane adult in the family you have to take on the role of both parents. You have to cover for, lie, enable and often have become co-dependent with the drunk. I am here to tell you from experience not expertise YOU ARE AFFECTED. Chances are the person was a drunk when you got together with them. That means something was misfiring in your "inner self" before you tied the knot. Why would someone intentionally walk into a mine field?

I am coming up on 3 years sober. I have been in recovery and private therapy for all of that time. I am growing and changing. I am not a drunk any longer. I will always be an alcoholic with "isms." I am working towards being the man I have always aspired to be. Some days I act like a drunk without a drink. I am a human and a work in progress. I pray that I will always want to be making steps forward and never be satisfied that I have "made it" as a human.

Squeaky and I have been going through some terrible patches lately. They are the worst we have ever encountered as a couple or as husband and wife. That is not unusual when a drunk gets sober. "I AM HERE." What a shock that must be to her and the kids. Her whole apple cart has been upended. Lord knows I'm not exactly a wallflower. Self-confidence certainly isn't a problem. However, after years of being disengaged I am a new guy and we are just getting to know each other again.

Suddenly I want to make changes in the way things are done from raising the kids to decorating the house. My wife says to herself, "Who does he think he is? I've been handling this all this time!" In a few short years of clarity I step in and make plenty of "helpful" recommendations on how things OUGHT to be. She sees them as criticism. There's a thin line between the two. Who wouldn't be miffed after I was AWOL for so long? She is used to the way things were and how she dealt with them. Living with an alcoholic can be a mind game for sure. Just because I am now sober doesn't mean we aren't both still suffering from the effects of the disease.

The great news is that we BOTH have open minds and want to have better communication. I often have a problem with one way communication and I'm the one communicating. That being said, recovery has taught me that I am not the center of the universe or the home. She is stepping out and going to a support group to work on HER. We have decided not to FIX each other. We will leave that to GOD. In the end we will accept life on its' terms and come up with new solutions to our old problems together.

For anyone who drinks too much and thinks it isn't hurting anyone else I can say with complete confidence... you're wrong. It impacts everyone in your orbit. To those living with an alcoholic or addict that says to themselves, "It's not my problem,"... it is. To the both of you I say good luck. I hope you both find sobriety, clarity and the grace of GOD...



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Tommy, you always write so well, it is obvious it is from your heart. You have a beautiful message and dream. I wish you and your family the best.

    ReplyDelete