Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Rally's and Ally's and a "BOSS" Day!


Rally's and Alley's a "BOSS" DAY!



Time: 8:00 am. I'm sitting in Joliet's Hotel Plaza restaurant in the heart of the city, just across from the library. It's been here forever. I'd call it a diner. This is my kinda joint. It's no frills, good food and great prices. The place has a feel about it. It breathes. You can feel the history as you slide into your booth, sticking halfway into place. 

There's a handful of tables and the prerequisite single stool bar. A couple of regulars checker the place. The waitress knows everyone by name and what they want as they sit down. She treats me like she's known me for years as she offers me coffee, a menu and my choice of newspapers. That's service.

I know what I'm going to order. I am a creature of habit. It'll be two eggs over medium with hash browns and ham well done. She takes my menu and flashes a smile while tucking it under her arm and spinning toward the kitchen. It's waitress ballet. I have been here, and by here, before as both an alcoholic/addict and in recovery. In a few short hours I will be standing in front of the Will County Board, the County President and State's Attorney. I feel my nerves and blood pressure beginning to build.

The men's room is just around the corner from where I am sitting. I can't help but notice a group of photos hanging in a bunch along the way. They have shot an episode of "Boss," the new Kelsey Grammer series debuting this fall on STARZ here. There is a picture of Kelsey and an autographed pic of Director Mario Van Peebles on a bulletin board along with some other celebrities. I smile, grateful that I have been blessed to work on a 4 episodes of the show. Several of the episodes are directed by Mr. Van Peebles. I am a featured extra as a school teacher in one episode. The irony is staggering knowing that in years gone by I have bought drugs not far from this very spot. I have also talked to struggling addicts here trying to get their lives together.

I return to the table and my food awaits. The egg whites are cooked but runny. Perfect. I have no idea what I am going to say when they present the County Proclamation to me as Spokesman and Emcee of "Rally Round Recovery 2011." I know God will give me the words when my moment comes. I just hopes he gives me good ones. Whatever they are, they will be grateful ones. I skim the newspaper and am careful not to get food on my clothes. I am a slob. I am the guy who drops a meatball down his shirt even when he's not eating a meatball.

I pay my tab and tip the waitress. I begin to make my way toward the courthouse only to realize that the event is at the county building. Joliet has changed so much in the last 20 years. The downtown area is gorgeous. I stroll past alleys where I once looked for "dates" or chemical escape, happy to be alive and sober. The sun is shining and I am on the right side of the street. I have a choice today not to use. There was a time when I had no choice. I begged my addiction to spare me for the day but it always managed to find a reason to beat me into submission again and again. Not today.

I arrived at the Will County Commission building before nine. One of the beauties of sobriety is I am not late. I greet Robert Snipes and Paul Lauridsen, organizers and bigwigs from Stepping Stones Recovery home and Southwest Alliance for Recovery. We sat in the gallery amongst the political elite. It was fascinating watching the District Commissioners talk in millions like you and I would talk in hundreds. I loved the fact that a prayer was done before the session. Forget Church and State. I want God to bless any meeting that has to do with my money!

As they called us up and Commissioner Dralle called me to the podium I was still shaking. Representative Larry Walsh handed me the plaque recognizing "Rally Round Recovery 2011" and September as National Recovery month. I thanked the commissioners and council members for their support and for having me there by invitation, not by SUBPOENA! It was a truly humbling moment, and one I will never forget.

I can't recall what I said beyond the joke. My recovery mentor says if I don't remember when I speak in situations like that it came from the heart or GOD, not me. I like that. In a few moments we were whisked off and the next group to be recognized was ushered up to the podium. I was still shaking.

David Brenner told me if you don't get butterflies before a performance get out of the business because it means you've lost your passion. I believe that. I have a genuine passion in sharing my story to let people know they are not alone but can not do it alone. The 28 years I suffered through and put my family through were hell. I see more and more in my sobriety as I help others in recovery and those with depression issues that those days were not spent in vain. I would not wish that hell on ANYONE.

As each day goes by and I share my message of hope, faith and the wonders of sobriety I am giving away what was given to me by those who came before me. I am a garden variety drunk and addict with a cool job. I am grateful to GOD that he continues to give me work in the business. I love both acting and comedy. I get my greatest satisfaction showing people the wonders of sobriety and living with the choice not to use

No comments:

Post a Comment