Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 1, 2011

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!...'I'm Gonna Have a Baby....'

There are rites of passage or marks in time that are indelibly etched in our mind. Our first day of school, that stolen kiss, our wedding day are just a few of life's mile markers that are forever carved into our melons. They are like home movies that can be played on demand whenever we wish to recall them. As a date passes by the play button is pushed automatically.

Our middle daughter Sunny turned nineteen on October 13th of this year. She called and asked if we could have dinner at home instead of going out. I was happy to oblige. The kids all know that when we go out for their birthday I am absolutely going to take them to a place where the servers will come to the table and perform a cheesy dance and sing an homage to their introduction into the universe. It's just the way I roll. They expect it and secretly enjoy it. It's tradition. I did it when they were small. I will do it until I die.

I decided to make shrimp with angel hair pasta for the occasion. Sunny and her beau Crisco love it. Cooking for the family is something I truly enjoy. It is a passion I picked up from watching my grandmother as a boy. I would watch  intently as she rolled out dough for noodles or fry chicken to perfection. My mind would snap pictures of her culinary wizardry not for any future wish to cook myself. It was to capture the sights, smells and feelings of complete comfort I had sitting at her table with my head plopped contentedly on folded hands.

I coordinated the special birthday feast precisely so it would be ready when Squeaky got home from work. The pasta was to be last. Al dente is a must. Squishy or starchy pasta is a no-no. I brushed the bread with butter and sprinkled it with garlic as the kids walked in. I kissed the birthday girl and hugged Crisco her man. It was hard to fathom Sunny was nineteen. I had met her when she was just a child. Now she was a young woman. I rushed back to add bread crumbs to the shrimp, butter, garlic and chives that were simmering on the stove. Everything was coming together perfectly as Squeaky came through the door.

She hugged her baby like only a mother could sweetly protesting that it was her last teen year as I began to toss the angel hair with the shrimp. The garlic bread would take just a few minutes in the broiler. The scene was idyllic. The meal came together as planned. We said a word of thanks and an extra for the birthday girl. Then the world shifted.

'I'm going to have a baby,' spilled from Sunny's blushing glowing face. Squeaky jumped from the table and hugged Sunny and both laughed and cried. 'My baby is going to have a baby,' she exalted rocking back and forth stroking Sunny's hair. I stood behind them waiting for my turn to hug the baby with the baby. My mind was snapping pictures faster than the paparazzi at a J-Lo sighting. My head was spinning. The smell of shrimp went from friend to foe as I felt gurgling in my belly.

I was elated, scared, confused and unsure of how I felt in those first few moments. First and foremost we asked if she was sure and okay. She said yes. I shook Crisco's hand and gave him a hug and "THE LOOK" as if to say, "When's the wedding date SON?" It seemed like only moments ago that Sunny was just a kid herself. She is just a kid! I was analyzing my feelings as they were happening and the barrage was so intense I wanted to hit the floor and cover my head! INCOMING! Squeaky, ever the cool one, took it all in stride like our girl had come home with a new car. How do women do this?! I wanted to kiss, laugh, fight, hug and cry with someone....

Hello...are you okay honey?
What about school?
Where will you guys live?
She should sit down.
Is shrimp okay for her to eat?
My God I'm only 46!
LORD! Please look after her and the baby.
If this kid doesn't do the right things... I'll eat his heart!
God...grant me the serenity....
Hey Bro I love ya like a SON already....
I can't wait to take the kid to a Sox and Bear game!

I think I better sit down....


















No comments:

Post a Comment