Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Put Your Hands on the Television and for $19.95 your prayers will be heard!

I am a Christian. I am proud of it and I will never back down from it. I am willing to die for my faith. I am also tolerant of other religions. I do not think my God is better than yours. My beliefs are rock solid and yours are yours. There is plenty of room for us all.

The fact that man tries to define God and his universe, how or what HE is, and how HE wants things to be is where the problems lie. I am fairly certain that living peaceably with each other, tolerance and respect for each other and providing a decent standard of living for all humanity is what any creator would want.

I have had my problems with Christianity along the way to today. I have found a church that I am very comfortable with. It is simple and Gospel based. All monies collected by the members are open for review to any member and all of it goes to help the needy around Chicago and the world. The Pastor, Dr. Tim Harlow, delivers his message in jeans and welcomes people "as they are." It is not a fashion show or "Who's Who of member importance." All are welcome to take part in communion, a loving God and the sacrifice of his SON for US is the focus.

Strictly as a spectator I see why many people are "troubled" by religion and "Church." They are the creations of men. Spirituality is between the CREATOR and the man. It hurts me to see some of the apples spoil the bunch for those who really might get a lot from the fellowship and service to the community that comes with belonging to a church. A church is not a building, it is the people who are in it.

Today, after an audition for a part in a teen Christian TV Series "The In Crowd," I was drawn to the sounds of beautiful gospel music floating down Chicago's Oakwood Drive in the Boulevards neighborhood. The sounds of laughter and southern cooking filled my nose as I made my way west down the 600 block. I found my self at Holy Angels Church Stone Soul Picnic for St. Clotilde. As Chicago's oldest African American Catholic Church, Sister Stephanie and Renatta greeted me lickety split. They didn't care how I looked. I wasn't a member of the church. I was a child of God and they took me right in offering me wonderful food, fellowship, music and laughter. That is a church!

How can the skeptic not be driven farther from the doors of a church when they see the Pope talk about the plight of the poor while he shuffles along corridors adorned with gold and multimillion dollar paintings covering every inch of the walls in the comfort of his Prada shoes? TV evangelists speak of humility and convincing the less fortunate they can have all the riches they want while asking them to send in their last dollar. The camera lights go out and they slip into the back of their Bentleys and review the financial statements for the day.

I am not saying that these men are wicked or should live in caves. I do think it is hard to discern for those caught between wanting to believe and fearing the greed of men and the corruption power brings. When I was in California last week there was a guy baptizing people in the river just outside Old Sacramento. It really got me. He was doing it for nothing but the desire to serve GOD and help the willing to be reborn. He was right out of a movie. He was dirty, driven and happy to be right where he was at. He had a cardboard sign with John 3:16 written on it and was soaking wet when he walked by. Business must have been okay.

In addiction I have always felt most comfortable talking about my problems with other addicts. I certainly wouldn't go to a dentist with crooked teeth. I think that's where things get sticky for folks in TV religion. I would like to point out that I do think there are some exceptions to the rule. Naming them would be pointless and irrelevant. It's hard for me to have compassion for a chubby guy complaining that he doesn't have enough to eat. Whoever said money isn't everything was right but probably was rich. A guy in a Versace suit stepping from a Benz just doesn't know the same day to day problems I have.

If a guy is on TV in a $5000 dollar suit and tells me that I need to send in $19.95 for my prayers to be answered and his ministry to continue, the first thing I think of is why don't you shop at Walmart or Sears? That would save you about $4900 right there. Multiply that by all the shows you do a year and you won't have to ask any old ladies for a dime! God takes you as you are. He doesn't have "a list" and guys outside looking for the "right folks" to get on the prayer list. Everyone is welcome.

I'm sure there are those that will take the side of the well dressed evangelist. I see nothing wrong with dressing your best for God. I also know some of these people raise millions for the less fortunate. There is a thick line between humility and overindulgence. I also know the best dressed, worst dressed, filthiest dressed, torn dressed are all welcome in God's kingdom. You don't need $19.95 for God to hear your prayers. All you need is a simple statement. "Hello God. It's me and I need you." The rest is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment